This month is Endometriosis Awareness month. We are breaking our silence and standing up against a frustrating, misunderstood disease.
As a loved one or sufferer of the disease, there are things you need to know.
8 Things You Should Know About Endo Sufferers
- One day is not like the other. We might feel great one day and entirely rundown the next day. Unfortunately, it’s completely out of our control.
- We don’t like disappointing you. Most of us feel terrible if we have to cancel plans due to this chronic illness. Please don’t take it personally. We still like you.
- Don’t tell us to get a hysterectomy. How would you feel if we told you to go yank out your baby maker without any regard for what that might mean for your future? That is a HUGE decision and does NOT cure the disease. Frankly, it’s a bit offensive.
- We aren’t faking it or seeking attention. You may have seen us wince in pain or double over at any given moment. I don’t expect everyone to understand, but this is a real disease with real pain. Fact.
- Listening and educating yourselves means the world to us. I had a friend that spent a whole night reading about Endo and then asked me questions the next day. Honestly, it was so touching that she wanted to understand.
- We are not lazy. I might spend more time resting than the average person, but that doesn’t mean I am lazy. Our illness is chronic, which means we fight all day, every day without a break. It is in our best interest to rest as much as possible.
- We have special diets that help us feel better. Although it’s not always convenient, eating gluten free or dairy free or soy free really does help to lessen our symptoms.
- Ask us how we are doing. I love it when my besties check in on me or when my sister calls to see how I am feeling. It helps us feel like we aren’t fighting this alone.
During the month of March, you can do a few things to show your support for Endo.
- Turn your profile picture yellow
- Wear a yellow ribbon, scarf, or t-shirt
- Share our images and stats with your friends, family and follower
To my dear friends and family (you know who you are)… THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for supporting me during difficult times and for not judging me. I am so thankful to be surrounded by people that understand and love me despite all my challenges. Thank you for supporting my dreams of creating an organization to help other women with Endo. Much love to you all.
Please share this post on Facebook and Twitter to show your support. I also welcome you to leave a comment below to join the conversation.
Copyright © 2016 WordsByMara – A subsidiary of Wordiate Solutions LLC, All rights reserved.
*Above image was created with Canva
NOT EVERYONE IS ON FACEBOOK, SO BESIDES POSTING IT THERE TO SHARE; I ALSO FORWARD THIS TO ALL MY CONTACTS VIA E-MAIL. I’M VERY PROUD TO SHARE ALL YOUR POSTS.ESPECIALLY WHEN WE CAN MAKE MORE PEOPLE AWARE OF THIS DISEASE. XOXO AUNT D
Pingback: 8 Things You Should Know About Endometriosis Sufferers | MyEndometriosisTeam
Pingback: Q & A – Living with Endometriosis | Words By Mara